Table of Contents
Guava is a well-recognized fruit all across the globe for its medicinal benefits and taste. For some, it is a simple fruit whereas for some it is simply an unexplainable miracle of nature.
What are fruits; one can say that these are simple vegetarian edibles but the grasp meaning lies far beyond it. To understand the whole thing, let’s begin our studies from ‘Fruits’ itself.
Fruits are one of the oldest forms of food known to man. There are many references to fruits in ancient literature. According to Quran, the fruits like grapes, dates, fig, olive and pomegranate are the gifts and heavenly fruits of God. The people in ancient times regarded fruits to be endowed with magic or divine properties.
They contain substantial quantities of essential nutrients in a rational proportion. Persons subsisting on this natural diet will always enjoy a good health. Fresh and dry fruits are thus not only a good food but also a good medicine. So, now lets move to our concerned fruit called “Guava”.
Introduction of Guava Fruit
Guava is a common fruit. There are two varieties of Guava fruit; which have red and white pulp. According to the taste, this fruit is sour, sweet and insipid. In the mid-ripe form, it works like an addiction; its taste will make you addicted of it. It is cultivated in both wild and cultivated form.
The tree is approximately 15-25 ft tall; it has leaves which are 2-6 inch tall placed on small branches. Its leaves are arranged in opposite or sequential manner.
Before getting developed to fruit, it bears whitish-colored flower which has feather type laces on it.
Unripe fruits tastes sour and bitter; finally after getting fully ripen it turns pulpy and a sweet smell comes from it.
Nutrients in Guava fruit
Guava fruit in rich in nutritious elements; ts is recognized as one of the highly nutritious fruit. It is enriched with nutritious molecules, like-
- Dietary fibers
- Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, K
- Phosphorus etc
Uses of Guava fruits
Now, we will study about the various ways in which this very fruit is used-
- Since, 1950s the leaves of Guava tree is used as a potential medicine to cure many diseases like Diabetes, cholesterol and heart problems.
- Ripe and Semi-ripe guava is simply used in a raw form to eat whereas in the case of patients it is advised to give them in the boiled form.
- Guava especially with red pulp is used to prepare Guava juice and squash.
- The seeds of guava are used to extract oil.
- Due to its high pectin content, guava fruit is used to prepare jams, jellies etc like this.
- In the Philippians, ripe Guava is used to prepare ‘sinigang’.
- It is also used in fruit bars, dessert items and many more.
Medicinal benefits of Guava Fruit
When we take the name Guava; most of us prefer it as a simple fruit. But this small fruit has hidden numerous healing properties in it. Now, you must be eager to know how to use this natural substance as a remedy. Following are some of the medicinal benefits of Guava-
- Before sunrise, take an unripe guava.
- Rub it on a stone to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on forehead which aches.
- This treatment should be administered for 3-4 times a day.
It is helpful to cure even severe headaches contrasting with migraines.
Only few can guess that guava; such a cold-natured fruit can be helpful to cure phlegm or cold. But it is possible; have a look-
- Take 1 big guava and remove its seeds.
- Give it to the patient to eat and then give a glass of fresh water to drink immediately.
- After few days phlegm will be unblocked and will flow to clear the nose.
- As it starts flowing, give 50 gm of jaggery without water at night.
The hot-natured and high potency of jaggery will cure the nose flow in no time.
In case of Arthritis, make paste of fresh guava leaves and apply on the painful area. This helps to relieve the pain to a great extent.
4For Malarial fever
In case of Malarial fever, grind the soft leaves with water and then strain the solution. Give this solution to the patient twice a day. It cures fever in few days itself.
Take 10 gm juice of soft tender leaves and mix sugar to it. Give this to the patient once in morning. It gives relief within 5-7 days.
6For seizures and convulsions
Seizures are convulsions are mostly seen in neurological disorders like epilepsy. It’s really a miracle of nature that such symptoms can be cured using guava itself-
- Prepare a tincture of guava leaves and massage the backbone using this. You will notice that convulsions are getting minimized by its regular use.
7For cardiac weakness
In case of any kind of heart problem, use this remedy-
- Take 3-4 guava fruits.
- Remove all the seeds and chop it into fine pieces.
- Add sugar to it and cook in a medium flame so it forms a sauce kind of paste.
- Take this twice a day.
It strengthens your heart and also cures constipation.
- Chew 3-4 guava leaves daily; it will cure toothache naturally.
- Boil 3-4 guava leaves and add potassium permanganate to it.
- Strain the liquid and use it for gargle. It relieves toothache.
- During breakfast, give ripe guava with black pepper, black salt and ginger to the patient.
- Eat at least 2 medium-sized semi ripe guava in a day; it is beneficial to cure colitis, diarrhea, acidity and swelling in stomach.
If you have got intoxicated with ‘Bhang’ or ‘Datura’ then give enough juice of guava leaves to the patient; you can also use its decoction. It will give an immense relief.
Nomenclature and FAQ
Guava belongs to kingdom Plantae and Myrtaceae family. Its binomial name is “Psidium guajava”. In Hindi, it is also called Amrud or Safari whereas in Sanskrit it is called Peruk, Bahubeej and Dridhbajati.
So, in this way we saw numerous benefits of Guava. Guys, always believe in nature; after all we humans are also the creation of nature itself. Lets promote this divine Indian culture and spread longevity to all. So, go green and Live well!
Read More :
- Top 10 Best Fruits for Diabetes patients
- Pitta pacifying fruits to balance Pitta Dosha
- Brined Amla for Health: Loaded with Goodness, rich in taste!
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Pomegranates-Live Healthy
- 5 Medicinal benefits of Sheesham tree you must know about
- 8 Health benefits of Indian Sorrel (Changeri) Herb
- Leafy Spinach and its health benefits
- Homemade Herbal Decoction for Cough and Cold for all
- How to cure Fever in Infants at Home without any Medicine