Nowdays human-beings are busy because of workload, lifestyle, family stress and want to make money as quick as possible. In all these condition they are not giving time for their body and fitness. Due to which they are getting number of diseases. Health of an individual is getting worst day by day. Wrong eating habits make very low immune system.
The diseases that are very commonly occurring in human-beings are hypertension, diabetes, heart-attacks and kidney problems etc. Here we are discussing about a very common problem known as diabetes. According to Ayurveda this disease is known as MADHUMEHA
WHAT IS DIABETES?
- Diabetes is a very common disease that occurs when enough insulin is not produced in body. It leads to excess production of sugar in blood. Insulin is a hormone produced by organ pancreas. This organ helps the cells of the body use the glucose in food. Cells need this energy for proper functioning of body.
- When sugar builds up in the bloodstream it is excreted in the urine that lead to diabetes. Sometimes when diabetes is ignored it may lead to several serious complications such as blindness, heart attacks, strokes, itching, nerve damage, impotence in men and amputation in the limbs.
TYPES OF DIABETES:
- Type 1 diabetes (Insulin dependent or juvenile diabetes)
- Type 2 diabetes (Non-insulin dependent diabetes)
- Gestational diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes:
- This is also known as insulin-dependent or juvenile diabetes. It is a chronic condition in which pancreas produces little or no insulin. Type 1 diabetes usually appears during childhood or adolescence.
Type 2 Diabetes:
- It is also known as noninsulin-dependent or adult-onset diabetes. It is a chronic condition that affects the body to metabolize sugar. In this condition the body either resists the effects of insulin or does not produce enough insulin in body.
- It occurs mainly in people over 40 but nowdays young adults are also affected.
- This type of diabetes occurs during pregnancy time.
COMMON SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES:
- Lack of exercise.
- Mental stress and strain.
- Increase usage of diet that imbalance kapha dosha like fats, sugar, potatoes and rice etc.
- Excessive sleep.
- Eating excess of junk food.
COMMON SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DIABETIC PATIENTS:
- Excessive thirst
- Increased hunger
- Weight loss or gain
- Burning sensation
- Skin infections
- Bad odor from body
- Numbness in hands or feet
- Excessive and frequent urination
- Blurred vision
- Wounds take time to heal
Ayurvedic Treatment of Diabetes
- Herbs are the best way to treat any chronic or acute disease. As the herbs donot cause any side-effects on the body. It makes our body, mind and soul healthy and happy. Diabetes is one the disease that get easily cured with use of some simple herbs mentioned below:
Bitter gourd (Momordica charantia)
- It is the most common herb used from ancient time for diabetes. It contains a compound called “charantin” that helps to lower high blood glucose level in body. The herb helps in purification of the blood. In diabetes the herb heals the skin diseases, heal wounds and infections related to diabetes. It can be used in the form of powder, juice and tablets.
Gurmar (Gymnema sylvestre)
- Gurmar is an ancient ayurvedic herb depicted as sugar killer. This herb checks absorption of glucose in blood. The active compound gymnemic acid in this herb reduces sugar intake in body. Gurmar slows down saccharine absorption through intestines. It controls high fluctuation of sugar level which can damage nerves, capillaries and harm to delicate organs like eyes.
Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum)
- This herb contains high soluble fiber in it. It helps to lower blood sugar level by slowing down digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes lowers blood glucose levels and improve glucose tolerance. Fenugreek are a rich source vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It helps to heal wounds, boils, rashes, abscess and digestion related problems.
Saptrangi (Salacia oblonga)
- This is a well-known herb that maintains healthy blood sugar levels. This herb contains active constituents, salicinol, glycosidase inhibitors and kotalanol 9 that control high blood glucose levels. Saptrangi corrects the working of pancreas and liver. The presence of Kotalanol and Salacinol controls Type 2 diabetic patients.
Jambul (Syzygium cumini):
- It is a popular herb used for its anti-diabetic properties. Jamboline in it shows anti-diabetic action. The herb reduces high blood sugar, reduces the insulin dose, beneficial for digestive system and for eyes. Its healing properties cure wounds and boil associated with diabetes. The herb is a powerful antioxidant that detoxifies the body. Powder, tablets or juice of this herb can be consumed for diabetes.
For easy convenience you can find some good herbal formulations like Madhumehantak churna that has amazing results and can be taken on regular basis for better results.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. WEBSITE – WWW.PLANETAYURVEDA.COM