Table of Contents
What is Digestion?
Digestion is the very essential part of the body, a way providing nutrition to the body and mind as well a responsible process to eliminate waste products from the body through anal route. The digestive system of our body generates energy through the process of digestion of food we take in. Any problem disturbing the gastrointestinal tract results to digestive disorder. This Unhealthy digestion leads to an unhealthy life.
According to Ayurveda the process of digestion:
The action of Agni on the food material is converting it into nutritive and excretory material. The nutritive material is assimilable in the body and provides nutrition to it and hence is known as ‘sara’ while the excretory material is a waste bi-product and hence is known as ‘kitta’. During the process of digestion, just like the nutritive part, a harmful waste product ‘kitta’ is also formed which is excreted at the appropriate time.
The Root Causes of Digestive Disorders?
Causes that leads to Digestive disorders are like Allergies, immune system deficiencies, genetic factors, or infections. It could be because of inflammation of the digestive tract. Factors that are promoting inflammation is disturbed diet, stress, alcohol and tobacco use, and being overweight, etc.
Ayurvedic View – Underlying root of this problem is weak Agni, or poor digestion. When Agni is weakened due to inappropriate eating, lack of activity, negative emotional energy or unhealthy daily routine, our digestion gets troubled and toxins are produced that get stored in the body. According to Ayurveda, this toxic residue, known as ama, is the root cause of disease.
Digestive Disorders Includes:
- Digestive disorders often results in the discomfort, and often embarrassment and it even affects the quality of life.
- Commonly occurring problems in disturbed digestion are like heavy or bloated stomach, Flatulence, Gas, Vomiting and Nausea
- Other digestive problems include gastric reflux (also known as heartburn and GERD) and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) that are manifested by symptoms such as such as gas, bloating, stomach pain, or abdominal cramps.Other could be Ulcerative Colitis.
1. AMLA:(Emblica officinalis)
- Amla is an herb which Ayurveda had explained it being cold in potency, provides relief from ‘heat’ within the body. It being sour in taste which helps to stimulate secretion of digestive juices. It also holds natural citric acid and ascorbic acid which are very effective in digestion of food and keeps our digestive system healthy.
- Haritaki is very useful herb that brings relief from flatulence and gas. Because of its warm potency it can controls the formation of gas and being a mild laxative, it can even help to get rid of constipation. Its good feature is that Haritaki never cause any problem to its users. It also has properties to cure digestion, aids in the absorption of nutrients, and regulates colon function. Haritaki fruit if chewed helps to increase in digestion power
3. BAHERA (Terminalia bellerica)
- Bahera is one of the important ingredient of ‘Triphala’ powder that has potent use in treating acidity and constipation. It is suitable herb in case of extreme ‘kapha’ that is the reason for loss of appetite. Therefore it is very good to pacify the ‘kapha’ from the intestines and stimulates the appropriate secretion of the juice which leads to healthy digestion.
4. SOUNF (Fennel) (Foeniculum vulgare)
- Fennel is commonly used herb that is efficient natural remedy helps to reduce gas. It has property to stimulate the secretion of digestive enzymes for weakened appetite. It is beneficial in lessening the gaseous distension of abdomen, pain in abdomen due to gas and acidity and also relaxes the patient from constipation.
5. DHANIA (Coriander sativum)
- Coriander is another useful very common herb that can provide relief from burning sensation of gas and indigestion. It is good to improve appetite, gives relief from constipation and gas.
6. PIPPALI (Piper longum)
- Pippali is herb with great positive benefits in low appetite and indigestion. It has ability to stimulate liver, pancreas and intestines to secrete digestive juices. In case there is lack of hydrochloric acid in our stomach this can be very effective to cure the problem. It stimulates the increased release of gastric juices and thus helps in digestion
7. JEERAK (Cuminum cyminum)
- Cumin is another commonly used herb that controls the abdominal pain caused due to gas and flatulence. The decoction of Cumin, Fennel, and Coriander is useful in relieving abdominal gas problem. Jeerak also has the property to improve appetite.
8. Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
- Turmeric is useful to improve digestion. It is anti-inflammatory that helps to keep digestive inflammation under control.
9. GINGER (Zingiber officinale)
- Ginger has a distinct and pungent flavor, and it provides relief from nausea. It also regulates the digestion.
10. ASAFOETIDA (Ferula assa-foetida)
- Asafetida is an effective remedy for many digestive problems like flatulence, stomach-ache and constipation.
Note : All these herbs are present in the Planet Ayurveda products – Digestion Support and Chitrkadi Vati.