Nature is full of hidden miracles! Some of its miracles are in front of us and we are not able to specify it. Same case lies with Garlic! Garlic is a spice cum herb which is used in numerous ways. Many of us don’t know that this very thing can be so beneficial. Today we will be talking about some of the unknown facts about Garlic.
Garlic is one of the most common ingredients in Indian dishes but apart from imparting flavour to food, this tiny, white pod also has immense medicinal properties. Used since time immemorial to treat various ailments, garlic is one ingredient in your kitchen that has a number of uses. We will today discuss about the facts about garlic.
Garlic contains a range of compounds including “Allicin“, which is a pungent oily liquid that gives crushed garlic cloves their characteristic smell, and has been shown to be the antibacterial agent due to its active sulphur. Raw garlic is very smelly, so in order to reduce it smell, you can simply add it to your gravy, salad dressing, to soup, yummy pizza or just sprinkle it before serving or have it in your own style.
Today, in our present topic we will be talking about some of the facts and astonishing things about Garlic.
Facts about Garlic:-
Other names of Garlic:-
Aged Garlic Extract, Ail, Ajo, Allii Sativi Bulbus, Allium, Allium sativum, Camphor of the Poor, Clove Garlic, Da Suan, Garlic Clove, Garlic Oil, Lasun, Lasuna, Nectar of the Gods, Poor Man’s Treacle, Rason, Rust Treacle, Stinking Rose.
Some unknown benefits about Garlic:-
We all know that garlic is used to treat this and that. But we all don’t know, some of its hidden benefits. Here we go with those benefits.
1. Garlic has been found to assist babies to gain weight while they are in the womb.
2. Garlic contains high levels of iodine which makes it a very effective treatment for hyperthyroid conditions.
3. Garlic can aid in the prevention of multiple types of cancer.
4. Garlic is a natural glue, which also binds your immune system making it strong.
5. Due to its innate compounds, garlic can help keep both bacterial and viral infections at bay.
How does Garlic helps?
All of us know, that garlic is best for health problems. But how does it works? This very thing will be revealed in this question.
- Allicin in garlic blocks the activity of angiotensin II (a protein that is responsible for increase in blood pressure) and helps in reducing blood pressure.
- The polysulphides present in garlic are converted into a gas called hydrogen sulphide by red blood cells that helps dilate your blood vessels and helps control blood pressure. If your blood pressure levels are of concern, there are natural alternatives to blood pressure medication that you could try after speaking to your doctor about the change.
Do not use Garlic if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in garlic
- you are hypersensitive in nature
- Evidence suggests that taking garlic may slightly lower blood pressure, particularly in people with high blood pressure.
Side effects of Garlic:-
- Side effects include breath and body odor, heartburn, upset stomach, and allergic reactions. These side effects are more common with raw garlic.
- Garlic appears to be safe for most adults.
- Garlic has been found to interfere with the effectiveness of saquinavir, a drug used to treat HIV infection. Its effect on other drugs has not been well studied.
- Garlic can thin the blood (reduce the ability of blood to clot) in a manner similar to aspirin. This effect may be a problem during or after surgery.
- Use garlic with caution if you are planning to have surgery or dental work, or if you have a bleeding disorder.
What makes Garlic so special?
There must be something amazing about Garlic making it so special.
- Garlic is also a reliable source of selenium. Selenium is the element which is very rarely found, thus garlic is the best thing to get selenium as nutrients.
- It has a variety of potent sulphur-containing compounds which are the reason for its characteristic pungent odour.
- Allicin, along with other compounds like ajoene, alliin, etc. also have a healing effect on your circulatory, digestive and immunological systems and help in lowering blood pressure, detoxification, healing, etc.
- Allicin, the vital compound in the pod, is known to have great anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-oxidant properties.
- That is why garlic is best had when it’s finely chopped, minced or pureed and let sit for some time.
In this way we saw some of the very rare yet vital information about Garlic. Take care and live well.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.