Sterility or Infertility is the inability to naturally conceive a child or to carry pregnancy to full term. It is defined as trying to get pregnant for at least one year with no success. Female infertility can be difficult to diagnose. There are many available treatments which will depend on the cause of infertility.
- The main symptom of infertility is the inability to get pregnant which may be due to the too long menstrual cycle (35 days or more) or too short (less than 21 days). Irregular or absence of menstruation means that a female is not ovulating. There may not be other outward signs or symptoms. It is important to diagnose the root cause of sterility.
Causes of Sterility in Females:
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome causes hormonal imbalance and is also associated with insulin resistance and obesity. It is the most common cause of female infertility.
Premature Ovarian Failure
- It is also known as primary ovarian insufficiency which is caused by auto-immune response or by premature loss of eggs from the ovary. The ovary no longer produces eggs and also lowers the estrogen production in women below 40 years of age.
Too much prolactin
- There is an excess production of prolactin from the pituitary gland which reduces the estrogen production and may cause infertility.
Damaged or Blocked Fallopian Tubes
- Damage to fallopian tubes may be due to PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease), an infection due to the uterus due to chlamydia, gonorrhoea or other sexually transmitted diseases.
- Structural uterine abnormalities present from the birth.
- Banana – Take a banana and cook it in cinnamon and cardamom is an effective remedy for women with strong digestion.
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) – Shatavari is a wonderful herb and known by the name Women’s best friend because of its immense health benefits. This herb is quite beneficial in uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts. It does not affect the hormonal system and give strength to female reproductive system. 1 tsp of Shatavari powder can be taken with warm milk twice daily.
- Maintain Body Weight – Being over-weight or under-weight can cause infertility. If a female is under-weight, the reproductive system will not be able to maintain pregnancy and on the other hand, being obese reduces a woman’s chances to get pregnant.
- Turmeric—If infertility in women is due to Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD), then 1 tsp of turmeric with plain water twice a day is very effective.
- Soybean – Soybean is recommended for women with infertility due to hormonal imbalances as it produces estrogen hormone in females. Moreover, it is a major source of protein which is also recommended for infertility.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) – Take Ashwagandha powder and add 400 ml water to it. Boil the water level to 100 ml. After reduction, do not filter the decoction and continue heating the milk and ashwagandha decoction further till 100 ml is left. Then filter it. This is taken in a dose of 30 ml in the morning before food along with a small spoonful of ghee. If a female is planning for conception, it can be taken for a period of 2-3 months. This remedy helps in relieving auto-immune disorder as auto-immunity is also a cause of infertility. It also improves the quality of ovum and also reduces stress levels and calms the mind. This remedy also strengthens the ligaments, uterus and ligaments so as to prepare for pregnancy.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon helps with proper ovarian functioning and thus effective in fighting infertility. It also helps in treating PCOS which is the main cause for infertility. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a cup of hot water. Drink it once daily for a few months.
- Dates – Dates are rich in Vitamin A, E and B as well as iron and other minerals that are essential for a woman to conceive and to carry a child through a full-time pregnancy. Eat 6-8 dates daily as a healthy snack and add chopped dates to milk, yogurt and smoothies.
- Consume more dairy products and proteins, soaked almonds and walnuts, sweet and juicy fruits like – mangoes, plums, pears.
- Consume spices such as – ajwain, cumin as they purify the genitourinary tract in women and turmeric to regulate the hormonal level and for regular menstruation.
Things to be Avoided
- Avoid stress as stress have a major impact on women’s fertility.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.