Elephant foot: isn’t it an interesting name. Yes this is a vegetable which is also called oal or suran in Hindi. It has numerous health benefits. Let us check some of them.
What is Elephant foot yam?
Elephant foot yam is a tuber crop and is also raised as a cash crop. This is the English term used for the vegetable; actually it has been named because of its transversal structure and look.
After cutting into two halves; elephant’s foot yam looks same as the elephant’s foot. After getting ripe its edible root yam gets pink-brown and the upper shoot gets grown and leafy green.
Classification of the vegetable:
Elephant foot yam belongs to kingdom Plantae and ‘Araceae’ family. Its binomial name is “Amorphophallus paeoniifolius”. The green shoot part of the plant is also edible.
Most of the vegetables are very attractive and juicy in look but this Elephant’s foot yam is very stony and hard in look. It looks similar to rock.
Yam is suitable for all-age groups. This vegetable is good for diabetic patients. The yellow-pink flesh is highly nutritive and tasty. It has the same size like football and weigh up to 30 lbs.
Where it is grown?
This veggie is fibrous in nature and is mostly grown in Bihar, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Odisha. In Hindi, Elephant foot yam is called ‘oal’, in Tamil it is called ‘Senai kizhangu’, in Telugu it is known as ‘Pulla ganda’ and ‘Oluo’ in Oriya. Not only in India this yam is popular in many countries ahead.
Recipes of Elephant foot yam:
Elephant’s foot yam is meant to prepare in many varieties like; Gravy curries, chutneys, bharta, finger sticks, pickles, French fries etc. It is also prepared as curries or soups.
In Hindu culture, there is a ritual of eating yam recipe on Diwali festival. The fresh yam is very yummy yet very itching in nature. By eating this, your throat and mouth can itch a lot.
To avoid the itching some sour ingredient like Amchoor powder or lemon is used while preparing. Elephant’s foot yam has a very cooling effect; so it should not be consumed by those suffering from respiratory ailment like Asthma or sinus allergy.
It is good to cure hypertension and stress. Yam is also a medicinal plant; it is the major ingredient in Ayurvedic medicines.
Now we will be talking about the Health benefits of Elephant foot Yam.
Health benefits of Elephant foot yam:
- Yam is a natural remedy meant to cure Bowel movement and also aids in constipation, intestinal heat, cramps and so on.
- It is also used as a slimming food as it is a low-fat food and lowers the cholesterol level and promotes in weight loss. In addition, it also clears the vein blockage and arterial blockage.
- Yam is rich in magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, potassium and many trace metals. These metals are responsible for sharp memory and concentration power.
- Through a survey, it has been concluded that yam contains ‘Diosgenin’ that has the potential to fight carcinogens (cancer causing agents).
- Elephant’s foot yam contains carbohydrates and protein equivalent to potatoes. It provides you instant energy. Its regular consumption keeps you fit and healthy.
- Yam lowers the Insulin level thus aiding in blood sugar. Its adequate consumption lowers the diabetes.
- Yam is rich in dietary fibers thus a home for probiotic bacteria. This strengthens your digestion and boosts your immune system. It has the potential to prevent colon cancer and breast cancer.
- Elephant’s foot yam regulates the secretion of estrogen thus gifting you a fit hormonal balance.
- Yam is a good anti-inflammatory agent that aids in joint pain and arthritis pain. It is also good to cure muscle spasm and inflammation.
- Yam is a good detoxifier too; it is helpful to detoxify/cleanse your body system keeping your internal organs clean. It flushes out toxins and keeps your liver, intestines and stomach free from pathogens.
- As an Ayurvedic medicine, it is helpful to cure piles and hemorrhages. The paste can also be applied on dermal problems and arthritis pain.
- It is rich in Vitamin C thus helps to cure premature aging. It slows the process of aging making your skin look blemish-free and young.
Elephant’s foot yam is full of nutritious values. Many of us think it as a nutritious-less vegetable. But it is not right! Each and every vegetable is full of health benefits.
Each and every vegetable posse some unique benefit; yet many of the kids hesitate to consume veggies. Everyone whether it is kid or adult should intake proper amount of vegetables for a good health.
These are the mother nature heritage itself. So guys, Eat well live well.
Share the post to all do not forget to leave a comment below.