Ulcerative Colitis is a chronic inflammatory disease of the colon characterised by small ulcers and bloody diarrhoea. The most common area affected is sigmoid colon and rectum but entire colon may also be affected. In rare cases, small intestine is also involved. According to modern medicine, cause of ulcerative colitis is unknown but it can be cured by various natural remedies.Like Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis is also an Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), however unlike Crohn’s disease which penetrates the entire intestinal wall, ulcerative colitis stays limited to mucosa, lamina propria and epithelium.
According to Ayurveda
- According to Ayurveda, Ulcerative Colitis is a disease of Purishavaha Strotas and Raktatisara is mentioned as an advanced stage of Pittatisara. It is a disease of Pitta dosha with varying degrees of Vata involvement. Vata determines how extensively the inflammatory process will spread and the development of extra- intestinal manifestations. The natural qualities of Pitta dosha are clearly observed in ulcerative colitis like—pus formation, blood in the stools, pus formation (suppuration), burning sensation, itching, bleeding, etc. The excessive consumption of Pitta aggravating foods in the diet further deteriorates the condition as they initially damage both Rakta-dhatu and Mamsa- Dhatu. Vata dosha in the lower colon blocks the Kapha and Pitta channels causing further inflammation and mucous accumulation.
- It would be difficult for a physician operating within the conventional allopathic paradigm to cure ulcerative colitis from the root but it is very much possible for the Ayurvedic physician as he is aware of the concepts of “Samprapti” and various natural remedies are available in Ayurveda for the treatment of ulcerative colitis.
- There are various natural remedies available for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. An Ayurvedic physician will select the specific medicines and dosages based on the roga and rogipariksha.
- The report of bloody diarrhoea triggers a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy and biopsy which confirms the diagnosis. There is bloody diarrhoea of varying duration which brings many patients to the doctor but when doctor takes medical history of the patient, it is revealed that there is unrecognised progression of the condition months or years before the disease entity is recognised.
What are the symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis?
- Periods of urgency to defecate
- Bloody stools
- Mucous in the stool
- Unexplained fatigue
- Very mild intermittent abdominal cramps
- Weight loss
- Sensation of fullness in the lower abdomen
Home remedies for ulcerative colitis
- These remedies are based on ancient Ayurveda wisdom and are especially helpful when there is blood in stools and diarrhoea.
- Mix the sandalwood powder (5 grams) with sugar (3 grams) and honey (3 grams) and make a paste. Take this paste with rice washed water twice a day. It will relieve bleeding and diarrhoea.
- Take 5 grams of pomegranate bark and 5 grams of connessi bark(Kutaj) and add 2 cups of water, boil and evaporate it till you are left with 1 cup of the drink. Filter the drink and take it with little honey. Once prepared, it should be consumed within 4-6 hours.
Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack of Planet Ayurveda not only helps to control bleeding but also stops fermentation, discomfort, pain and heals the ulcers and restores health. The combo pack of Planet Ayurveda includes 4 supplements—
- Kutazghan vati
- Pitta Balance
- Vatsakadi Churna
- Kutazghan Vati is obtained from Kutaz (Halorrheana anti-dysentrica) which is a wonderful tree. It is nature’s wonder which has power to stop all sort of diarrhoea as it helps to burn “Ama” or toxins, stops inflammation, stops fermentation going on inside the intestines and heals the ulcers. The product “Kutazghan Vati” of Planet Ayurveda are the tablets made from the bark of this tree and is used for the healing of Ulcerative Colitis.
Calcium compounds have a great role in controlling this disease. Pitta Balance Product of Planet Ayurveda is a combination of various classical Ayurvedic calcium compounds which help to control the bleeding and have a cooling effect on the body. In Ayurveda, Mukta Pishti is prepared by taking purified powder of pearls and pestle it with rose water under moonlight for 30 nights. This remedy becomes so effective that the bleeding stops within first few dosages. The aggravated “Pitta” becomes balanced. As a result, the inflammatory processes stop and disease goes into remission.
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) bark standardised extract is used to make this formulation. The Arjuna tree bark is famous in Ayurveda for its wound healing properties. It works on the inner lining of the intestines and heals the ulcers, stop bleeding, heals diarrhoea and prevents inflammation. It also improves the overall strength of the patient.
- It is a classical Ayurvedic compound and one of the most effective formulations to be produced for ulcerative colitis in Ayurveda. It is a mixture of various ulcer healing herbs like—Fennel (Foeniculm vulgare), Bael (Aegle marmelos), Dhania (Coriander sativum), Anaar (Punica granatum), Choti Eliachi (Elettaria cardamomum) and Jaiphal (Myrstica fragrans). All these herbs work in a synergistic manner to restore the imbalance of various body metabolic reactions. These herbs help to heal the ulcers and get rid of the disease.
- Remember, diet is crucial in the success of Ayurveda Ulcerative Colitis treatment. Medicines are of no use if strict diet is not followed. Foods that are hard to digest, that cause increase in Pitta, that cause increase in bowel motility are best avoided in Ulcerative Colitis.
- Junk food made of refined flour, preservatives, alcohol, tea, coffee, milk, spicy food, curd, fermented foods, non-vegetarian foods must be avoided as consumption of heavy, greasy foods lead to the disruption of digestive fire and leads to indigestion.
- The undigested food starts to rotten and ferment and inflammatory process begins in the intestine. Include pumpkin, fresh pomegranate juice, licorice, coconut water, all bitter tasting vegetables like—bitter gourd, long gourd must be included in diet.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.