Spices are one of the major ingredients of Indian cuisine; without such spices food stuffs turns tasteless and unpleasant. In India, spices are also recognized as a kind of natural remedy. As every herb has some benefits in it, similarly these bountiful herbs are also enriched with numerous benefits.
Here, we will be talking about one of the common and highly beneficial herb plant called “Turmeric”. Apart from a simple herb spice, it has hidden many properties in it. So, lets proceed to our topic-
Turmeric is one of the most familiar yet one of the main ingredient in Indian cooking. Turmeric plants are 2-3 ft tall and leaves are spear-shaped just like bamboo leaves and somewhat like banana leaves; when crushed the leaves smells like mango leaves.
It bears pinkish-white coloured flowers and has ginger like underground stem and are yellow or white inside. They are converted into usable turmeric as after getting boiled and then dried. It has several varieties, some are-
- Curcuma longa- It is the commonly used turmeric variety as a spice.
- Curcuma aromatica– It is also called ‘Mango-ginger’. Its roots and leaves have a smell very similar to camphor mixed mango.
- Berberis aristata- It has the same characteristics as normal turmeric. It is well-known for its medicinal values especially for macular degeneration etc.
- Curcuma zedoaria- It is also called ‘Vanharidra’; majorly it is found in West-Bengal and is used for colouring. It is known as wild turmeric.
Turmeric plant belongs to kingdom ‘Plantae’ and “Zingiberaceae” family. Its binomial name is Curcuma longa which is Latin in origin. In Hindi, it is also called Haldi whereas in Sanskrit it is called Haridra, Peeta, Yoshitpriya and many more.
Chemical composition of Turmeric:-
Turmeric contains 5-10% of a volatile oil while makes it smell pungent and heavy. The other components in turmeric are curcumin which is a fragrant oil and turpentine. In addition it also contains Vitamin A, protein, minerals, lubricant and carbohydrate.
Uses of Turmeric:-
Apart from used as a spice ingredient; there are many more uses of Turmeric; some of them are listed below-
- Turmeric has an auspicious value and is used in many religious occasions.
- A kind of turmeric is also used as an ingredient in cosmetics; it is used as a natural bleach, face pack, creams, soaps etc.
- Turmeric is also used to prepare natural colour; yellow or orange.
- Its volatile oil is also used in Aromatherapy.
Medicinal benefits of Turmeric:-
Now, lets talk about the main form of our topic. Uses and benefits of turmeric are known to all; but only few knows that it also has the potency to cure dreadful diseases. Lets have a look on these miraculous benefits-
1. For Jaundice:-
- Mix 6 gm turmeric powder in buttermilk and give to the patient twice a day. Within 4-5 days it uproots Jaundice.
- Take 12 gm turmeric powder mixed with 50 gm curd.
2. For Conjunctivitis:-
In case of eye problem; Conjunctivitis, use turmeric as-
- Take a soft cloth and dip in turmeric decoction; clean and cover the eyes with this cloth. It is able to cure-all kind of seasonal eye disorder.
- Take 1 gm turmeric and boil in 25 ml of water. Put this water repeatedly in eyes; it cures pain and redness too.
3. For itching:-
- Mix 5 gm turmeric on 25 gm of Neem leaves with butter; apply on the affected area. It cures itching, scabies and other skin problems.
- Grind Doob grass and turmeric; apply on the affected area regularly. It cures eczema, scabies, itching, urticaria and many other fungal infections.
4. For Gout:-
Give 100 gm decoction of turmeric, Indian gooseberry and Nut-grass with a spoonful of honey to the patient. It is highly beneficial for Kapha patients.
5. For Chronic Fever:-
- The bark of root of Berberis aristata includes very bitter extract. It should be continuously given to the patient.
- Give 10-20 gm decoction of turmeric to the patient. It cures the repeatedly occurring fever and also helps in liver disorders.
6. For Bright skin complexion:-
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 1/1 teaspoon of gram flour and mix with lemon drops. Apply it on face and wash after 15 minutes.
- Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder; 1/2 teaspoon of honey and 2 teaspoon of gram flour. Mix well and apply it on face twice a week.
7. For Cold:-
- Let the patient inhale the smoke of turmeric at night and sleep well.
- Take a glass of hot-warm milk and add 2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a teaspoon of sugar; mix well and drink before going to bed. It is highly beneficial.