What is Nectar? Nectar of Amrit is a liquid which promotes immortality to the person or being who drinks it! It is also described in spiritual books; Amrit was emerged from Samudra Manthan. God Dhanvantari who is also recognised as one of the Avtaars of Vishnu in Hinduism; holds the pot of Amrit in his hands. In the present world, there are several herbs which are comparative as Amrit. Giloye or Tinospora is one of them.
What is Giloye herb?
Giloye herb is also called ‘amrita’ which means ;‘one that never dies’. This very herb is mortal but its effects are same as immortal. It provides longevity and is highly beneficial. It is a creeper like thick bush and is found at heights up to 1000 ft above sea level. The plant is similar as other climbers and its leaves are little bit similar as those of betel leaves. Its stem is quite thick and looks like a green rope. Few aerial roots grow from the soft stem and branches. It bears yellowish-green flowers which grows in bunches. The fruits also grow in bunches and turn red when ripe.
It bears red-pink coloured fruits which looks similar as peas and red currants. In India, this very herb is found in Kumayun, Assam Burma, Bihar, Konkan, Karnataka and Ceylon. Typically, tinospora is found in forests, at raised boundaries, agriculture field and many more. When scratched the bark comes off in layers. The plant climbs on trees and any other materials. There is a very interesting thing about Tinospora/Giloye that; it clings to trees and whatever tree it climbs on, it acquires the properties of that tree. That is why, tinospora that grows on neem tree is considered to be the best.
Nomenclature of Giloye:-
English name- Tinospora
Hindi name- Giloye, Guduchi
Sanskrit name- Guduchi, Amrit balli, Chinna, Vatsadani
Telugu name- Tippatigo
Kannada name- Amritballi
Family name- Menispermaceae
Botanical name- Tinospora cordifolia
Chemical composition of Giloye:-
- The stem of giloye contains approximately 1.2% starch.
- It also possess a Glucoside called Giloine
- It contains a volatile oil with fat, alcohol and several types of Fatty acids
- It also contains tetrahydrofuran, jatrorhizine, palmatine, berberine, choline, tinosporic acid, tembeterine and many more.
- It is anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anti-toxic, anti-diabetic, anti-periodic and anti-cancer in nature.
Now, we will be talking about its Health benefits. You must be knowing that most of the herbal medicines contains the extract of Giloye in it.
18 Health benefits of Giloye/Tinospora:-
Giloye is a miraculous plant with numerous health benefits. Here, we will be covering top 18 benefits of Giloye. So, lets proceed-
1. For Eye problems-
- Take 11.5 gm juice of Giloye and mix 1 gm each of honey and rock salt in it.
- Apply this in eyes.
- It cures cataract, scleral, corneal disorder etc.
- Or, prepare a decoction of Giloye juice and Triphala.
- Mix peepal powder and honey in it and give to the patient twice a day.
- It improves the eyesight.
2. For Ear wax-
- Grind Tinospora in water and warm the water.
- Put drops twice a day in ears.
- It cleanses the ears.
3. For Hiccoughs-
- Give nasya of powder of Tinospora and ginger root.
- It stops hiccoughs.
- Prepare the solution of Tinospora and ginger root.
- Give this to the patient once a day with milk.
4. For Jaundice-
- Give 20-30 gm of its decoction with 2 teaspoon honey mixed in it.
- Give this 3-4 times a day.
- Or, Grind its 20-30 leaves and mix in a glass of butter milk.
- Strain the solution and give this to the patient in morning.
- It cures Jaundice.
5. For IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)–
- Prepare decoction of equal amount of ginger root, Atees and Tinospora.
- GIve 20-30 gm of this decoction twice a day.
- It cures Sprue and IBS.
6. For Piles-
- Take equal quantities of harad, tinospora and coriander leaves.
- Boil 20 gm of this mixture in 1/2 litre of water till the water is reduced to 1/4th.
- Mix jaggery in this decoction and give to the patient twice a day.
- It cures all kinds of piles.
7. For Elephantiasis-
- Mix 50 ml bitter oil in 10-20 gm of Tinospora juice.
- Give this to the patient in morning or in empty stomach.
- It is very helpful in Elephantiasis cure.
8. For Urinary Disorders-
- Give 20-30 gm decoction of Tinospora and Leadwort twice a day.
- Give 1 gm of Tinospora extract with 3 gm honey every morning and evening.
9. For Liver disorders-
- Take 18 gm fresh Tinospora, 2 gm celery seeds, 2 pieces of small pepper and 2 sticks of Neem branches.
- Crush them all and soak them in 250 ml water in an earthen pot at night.
- Next morning, grind the solution and strain it.
- Give this solution to the patient. Continue the treatment for 15-20 days.
- It cures all kinds of stomach disorders.
10. For Dermatoses-
- Give the juice of Tinospora 10-20 gm to the patient.
- Give this solution 2-3 times a day.
- Continue it for few months.
11. For Chronic Fever-
- For heavy fever, take 40 gm Tinospora and crush it.
- Soak it in 250 ml water in an earthen pot for overnight.
- Next morning crush the solution and strain it.
- Give 20 gm of this solution to the patient, thrice a day.
- Or, Take 20 ml juice of Tinospora and add 1 gm Long pepper and 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Give this to the patient twice a day.
- It cures fever, cough, bronchitis and loss of appetite.
12. For Arthritis-
- Give 2-5 gm of Tinospora powder with milk twice to thrice a day.
- It cures Arthritis and acidity in urine.
13. For Vomiting-
- Take equal quantities of bark of malabar nut, Tinospora and Yellow berried night shade.
- Boil it in 1/2 kg water till the water is reduced to 1/4th.
- Giver this decoction to the patient with honey.
- It cures bronchitis, bronchial asthma and Vomiting.
- Take 10-20 gm Tinospora decoction and give this to the patient with 2 teaspoon of honey mixed in it.
- It cures all kinds of Vomiting.
14. For Urticaria-
- Grind 10-20 gm psoralea seeds with Tinospora juice.
- Apply the paste on affected area.
15. For Anaemia-
- Take 1 litre of Tinospora juice, 250 gm paste of stem bark, 4 litre milk and 1 kg buffalo ghee.
- Cook all these till only ghee is left.
- Strain the solution and store.
- Give 10 gm of this ghee in 40 ml cow’s milk twice a day.
- It cures Anaemia and Chronic Jaundice.
16. For Gout-
- Give 2-5 gm powder of mundi with 2 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of ghee followed by 40-60 gm decoction of Tinospora.
- Give this twice a day. It cures Gout.
17. For Pulmonary Tuberculosis-
- Prepare decoction with equal quantities of Winter cherry, Tinospora, Asparagus, malabar nut and Indian Atis.
- Give 50-60 gm of this decoction twice a day to the patient.
- It cure diabetes. During this time, the patient should take only chicken soup or milk.
18. For Dysuria-
- Give 10-20 ml juice of Giloye with 2 gm powder of pashan bhed and 1 teaspoon of honey mixed in it.
- Give this to the patient 3-4 times a day.
- It is beneficial in curing difficulty in micturition.
So guys, in this way we saw how this small herb can be so useful. It is simply a miracle in present world. Similar to this, many miracles are present around us. Get conscious and utilize these resources which are free of cost and highly beneficial. Take care and Live well!