Hi All, today we are going to see top 12 health benefits of long pepper.
Long pepper also called ‘Indian long pepper’ is a flowering vine. It is a fragrant plant which has soft stem that climbs on other plants or spread on ground. Its branches are thin and hairy. It bears dark green colour leaves which are soft, smooth, glossy, 2-4 inch long and 1-2 inch wide and heart-shaped leaves. It looks similar as the pan leaves. They are alternatively arranged and has pointed tips. The leaves have very prominent veins. It bears flowers which are unisex; consisting of both male and female flowers. As other peppers, the plant bears berries which are long and shapes like elephant trunk. It has same size as a match stick. When unripe the fruit is green and turns light red when ripe and dark dusty when dried. The fruits are also called ‘pippali‘.
Long pepper grows in warm and temperate areas of India. The buds of very plant is usable which is considered as one of the important spices
English name– Long pepper
Hindi name– Peepal
Sanskrit name– Pippali, Vaidehi, Magadhi and Krishna
Family name– Piperaceae
Botanical name- Piper longum
Nutrients in Long pepper:
Long pepper also called Indian long pepper contains a volatile, fragrant oil; piplatin, sesenin and pipla-sterol. The whole plant is usable especially its berries and the roots. The root contains piperin, steroids, glucosides, pipelartin and piperlonguminin. It is bitter, hot and warm in nature. Long pepper has multi use; some of them are listed below.
Uses of Long pepper:
- Long pepper is mostly used in the cooking of non-vegetarian items like Biryanis, kababs and many others.
- Long pepper is widely used to prepare vegetable pickles.
- It is widely used in Malaysian and Indonesian cuisines.
Now, we will be talking about the health benefits of Long pepper. Since from a long time, Long pepper has been used as a traditional medicine. It has the higher potency to cure many types of diseases. Due to its warm and hot nature, it has the capacity to cure diseases. so, lets move towards the health benefits of Lond pepper-
12 Health benefits of Long pepper:
Insomnia, also called sleeplessness; is a disease in which the person becomes unable to sleep or rest properly.
- Grind 1-3 gm powder of Long pepper root with sugar.
- You can also use double amount of jaggery indeed. Give this mixture twice a day.
- It cures digestion related disorders and results in sound sleep.
- This process is commonly administered in aged persons.
2. For Headache-
- Grind equal quantities of long pepper, black pepper, raisin and ginger root.
- Cook this powder in butter.
- Strain the misture and give to the patient . It cures headache.
- Or, grind long pepper in water and apply the paste on forehead.
3. For Toothache-
- Take 1-2 gm of long pepper powder and mix with rock salt, turmeric powder and mustard oil.
- Apply this mixture on teeth.
- It cures toothache.
4. For Heart problems-
- Take equal quantities of long pepper root and green cardamom.
- Grind them into a fine powder.
- Give 3 gm of this powder with ghee; twice a day.
- It cures constipation and heart disorders.
- Mix equal quantities of long pepper powder and powder of bark of root of lemon.
- Give 3 gm of this powder with the decoction of Arjuna on empty stomach.
- It cures heart pain and other incurable heart disorders.
5. For Piles-
- Give 1/2 teaspoon of long pepper powder, roasted cumin seeds and a little amount of rock salt with butter milk.
- Give this mixture twice a day on empty stomach.
- Grind equal quantities of long pepper, rock salt and goat’s milk.
- Apply this paste on boils.
6. For Insect bite-
- Grind the root of long pepper and apply on the insect bite.
- It is also beneficial in poisonous insect bites.
7. For Obesity-
- Give 2 gm powder of its root with honey; thrice a day.
- Continue this for few weeks. It cures obesity.
- Keep in mind, after taking the dose; do not take anything solid except water at least for n hour.
- This will surely help reduce obesity.
8. For IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)-
- Mix equal quantities of long pepper powder, Indian hemp and ginger root.
- This this dosage twice to thrice a day before meals.
- It cures even severe case of IBS.
9. For Hiccoughs-
- Mix equal quantities of powder of long pepper and liquorice root.
- Mix equal amount of sugar to it.
- Give 3 gm of this mixture with the juice of lime and water.
- It cures hiccoughs and vomiting too.
- This can also be taken with honey followed with water.
10. For Liver enlargement-
- Give 2-4 gm powder of long pepper with 1 teaspoon of honey; twice a day.
- It cures liver enlargement.
- Or, take the decoction of long pepper root.
- It promotes digestive fire and cures vata and kapha disorders.
11. For Migraine-
- Mix equal quantities of powder of peepal and bach.
- Give 3 gm of this mixture twice a day with milk or warm water.
- It cures migraine pain.
12. For Galactogogue-
- Give 2 gm powder of its berries with 1/2 teaspoon of Asparagus and honey mixed in it.
- It should be given twice a day followed by milk.
- It enhances the milk production in lactating mothers.
Side-effects of Long pepper-
Long pepper is very useful and beneficial, yet it accompanies certain side-effects with it; some of them are listed below;
- Pregnant and lactating omen should consume long pepper in limited quantities; as over intake can be harmful due to its hot nature.
- It should be medicated under a medical supervisor as it can even lead to skin rashes and other allergies.
- It may also cause intestinal inflammation and raise in body temperature.
So, in this way we saw the multiple benefits and uses of Long pepper. It seems to be a simple spice but is far more than that. It is a highly beneficial ingredient used since from immemorial times. So, add these useful things in your diet and stay well. Take care and live well!
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.