Punarnava, is a very well-known herb in Ayurvedic culture. It is known for its medicinal benefits and uses. These kinds of herbs are simply miracle in itself and very useful. Today we will be discussing about the 10 health benefits of Punarnava herb.
Herbs are the small plants which are indulged with medicinal properties and health benefits.
Appearance of Punarnava herb:
Punarnava or Spreading hogweed, is a spreading 2-3 m tall plant with several soft branches. The leaves are 1/2 to 1 inch long, round or oval, and are arranged opposite to each other. It bears tiny flowers which are pink and grow in small bunches. The fruits are 1/2 inch long, with 5 stripes an are knotted.
The root is soft, strong and white in colour. The plant generally bears flowers and fruits in the rainy season.
Nomenclature of Punarnava herb:
English name– Spreading Hogweed
Hindi name– Gadahapurna, Sathi, Gadahabindo
Sanskrit name– Punarnava, Shothagni
Gujrati name– Satodi, Basedo
Family name– Nyctaginaceae
Chemical composition of Punarnava herb:
It contains a slightly pungent alkaloid named punanarvine and also potassium nitrate. The ash contains chloride, nitrate and phlorate and chlorate.
Ayurvedic properties of Punarnava herb:
It is cool and containing lots of medicinal properties in it. It is an antidote to venom and has several other benefits.
Now, we shall be discussing about the medicinal benefits and usages of Punarnava herb. You will see how beneficial and useful it is, in the health field.
Health benefits of Punarnava:
1. Treats Insomnia–
- Give 50-100 ml decoction of punarnava.
- It works as the sleeping pills and makes you fall into deep sleep.
2. Helpful in Cataract-
- Grind the root of punarnava with water.
- Make a paste kind of it and apply as the eyeliner.
- It cures cataract with the regular usage.
3. Aids in Tuberculosis–
- Take 5-10 gm root of hogweed with rice half of rice powder.
- Cook them in the juice of grapes, milk and ghee.
- Make it thick, as the consistency of soup.
- Give this to the patient twice a day, 1-1 teaspoon.
4. Treats Asthma–
- Mix 3 gm powder of punarnava root with 500 mg turmeric.
- Give this powder, twice a day with lukewarm water.
- It cures Asthma.
5. For Opthalmic disorders-
- Grind the hogweed root and mix with ghee.
- Use it as eyeliner. It treats eye flu.
- Grind the hogweed root and mix it with honey.
- Use this as eyeliner. It treats redness of the eye.
6. Treatment for Kidney disorders–
- Prepare a decoction of the whole plant.
- Give 10-20 gm decoction, divided equally as the dosage.
- It cures all the kidney related disorders.
7. Helpful in Fevers-
- Give 2 gm of its root with milk or betel leaf.
- It cures quartan fever.
- You can also give the decoction of its whole plant.
- It is beneficial in burning sensation and fever due to infection in urinary tract.
8. For Skin disorders–
- Cook the roots of hogweed in oi.
- After the oil gets lukewarm, massage the affected skin with it.
- It cures all type of skin disorders.
9. Helpful to abide Arthritis–
- Give hogweed decoction with 1 gm powder of ginger root and camphor.
- Continue this treatment for 7 days.
- It cures arthritis.
10. Helpful to curb Jaundice-
- Give 10-20 gm juice of its whole plant with 2-4 gm baheda powder mixed in it.
- Give this on a regular basis.
- It is a very beneficial medicine for Jaundice.
So these were the health benefits of Punarnava. It is really an amazing herb with numerous benefits. Always believe the herbs you see. Those are like the bliss of Mother Nature and a kind of natural medicine for all the diseases.
Hope you like the article. Share it as much as you can, so that the knowledge of Indian herbs can spread to all. Take care and live well!