Flowers are the most attractive part of the plant. These are rich in colour and sweet fragrance. Not only we humans, but the animals and the insects all gets attracted to it. Honeybees sucks nectar from the flowers; by which natural honey is prepared. Flowers are used to show different emotions; happiness, grief, sadness, lost, celebrations and many more. Red flowers are mostly used to denote love and affection; whereas yellow, white and pale pink is used to express friendship, sadness etc.
One should know that; most of the flowers occupies the potency as they are used in different medicinal fields. In Chinese therapies, Ayurveda, Naturopathy etc flowers plays a major role for the treatment of many diseases. Here, we will be talking about one of the most beautiful flower which is also “Sweet scented”. Well, it is commonly called Oleander.
Appearance of Oleander:-
The oleander tree is bushy one and reaches up to 10-12 ft in height. It has small stem with multiple branches and each branch has three pair of 6-8 inch long leaves. Those leaves are completely green, smooth, shiny even rough. Oleander flowers are found in different shades like pale pink, dark pink, red, white and yellow even. The trees are grown in temples, gardens, parks and also used as the ornamental plant. It bears flowers throughout the year; while the yellow oleander gives the illusion of having spring and rainy season at the same time.
Nomenclature of Oleander:-
English name– Oleander, Sweet-scented
Hindi name– Kaner, Kanail
Sanskrit name– Hayamara, Karveer
Family name– Apocynaceae
Botanical name- Thevetia peruviana
Properties of Oleander:-
There are many properties of Oleander which are listed below-
- It has been discovered that the root, skin and seeds contains contain glycosides.
- As a fact; all the parts of the plant is poisonous; mostly it is used externally but in the case of internal treatment it used be used under the supervision of a qualified doctor.
- It regulate kapha and vata; hence promotes digestion.
- This very plant is cool in nature.
- It acts as a blood purifier and is antipyretic in nature.
- The red flower of the same species becomes toxic when given in large quantity.
Well, now we will be talking about our prime concerned topic which is; Health benefits of Oleander. It is multi-purpose and used in different forms which are given below-
10 Health benefits of Oleander-
1. For Heart pain-
- Give 100-200 mg of bark of its root after small meals.
- It causes heavy urination; which cures the heart pain.
- It even cures other disorders related to heart.
2. As a toothbrush-
- In India, many likes to use the twigs and thin branches of some plants as their toothbrush.
- The branch of white oleander can be used to brush teeth.
- It strengthens even the loose teeth.
3. For Headache-
- Grind the flowers of oleander with Indian gooseberry in kanji (a fermented drink prepared using beets, carrots, mustard).
- Apply this paste on forehead. It gives immense relief.
4. For Piles-
- Grind the root of oleander with cold water and apply on the boils.
- Must apply those on the boils while easing.
- It cures the boils.
5. As a face pack-
- Grind the flowers of white oleander and apply on the face.
- It improves texture and complexion of the skin.
6. For Joint pain-
- Grind the leaves of Oleander and apply on the painful joints.
- One can even use the decoction of white oleander to rinse the ulcers and wounds.
7. For snake bite-
- In case of snake bite, give 125-250 mg of bark of its root or 1-2 leaves repeatedly after a short interval.
- It causes the patient to vomit which then actually releases the poison from the body.
8. For eczema-
- Prepare oil from the root bark of white oleander and apply on the affected parts.
- It cures all types of eczema, itching and dermatoses.
9. For Contagious diseases-
- In case of any kind of monsoonal/contagious disease, massage with oil of its leaves.
- It prevents growth of micro-organisms that causes such diseases.
10. For Itching-
- Apply the medicated oil prepared from oleander leaves.
- It cures itching within an hour.
- Paste of oleander leaves or flowers with olive oil can be applied in any kind of itching.
- It is beneficial in any type of itching.
Harmful effects of Oleander:-
As discussed above, all parts of the plant is poisonous. It even acts as a great poison. Hence, it must not be taken on empty stomach. It must be administered as used only under the strict supervision of a qualified doctor.
So, in this way we saw how the small flowers and very plant can be so useful. Go green and live well!
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.