Psoriasis is an auto-immune, non-infectious, chronic, inflammatory skin disorder where altered keratanisation of epidermal cells take place with well-defined erythematous lesion and silvery plaques. It is a skin disorder whose causative factors are not clear till date. It is unpredictable and irritating. It is characterised by skin cells that multiply upto 10 times faster than normal. As underlying cells reach the skin surface and die, their sheer volume causes raised, red plaques with white scales. It is a skin disorder which has not been defined properly till today. Some researches have given the evidence that it is a hereditary condition, others mention that it is a psycho-somatic disease while others believe that it is due to stress and strain along with inherited factors.Seventh chapter of Charaka Samhita Chikitsa Sthana deals with Kushta Chikitsa. It deals with causes, types, treatment and symptoms of various skin diseases.
According to Ayurveda, all skin diseases are broadly classified into “Kushta Roga”. In terms of severity, prognosis and incidence, psoriasis is not a minor kind. The typical presentation of scaling of the coin shaped skin in the disease psoriasis is very troublesome. The varieties of presentation like- guttae psoriasis, plaque psoriasis, erythrodermic psoriasis, unstable psoriasis etc. are present but in Ayurveda, all are included under single heading- kushta. Scalp, palm, soles, sacral region, back side of the ear, neck, abdomen, elbow, nails are the common sites though it may appear in any part of the body. One should be careful in the beginning of the disease itself and should consult the physician earliest. The features of “kushta” closely resemble the characteristic features of Psoriasis. According to Ayurveda, all the three doshas mainly Vata and Kapha are vitiated and they further vitiate skin, blood, lymph or plasma part of blood tissue and there is a manifestation of skin lesions in various parts of the body.
Line of Ayurvedic treatment includes oral administration of medicated ghee, Vamana(Emesis- purgation can also be carried according to the condition) and various single drugs which are quite beneficial in psoriasis are-
- Neem(Azadirachta indica
- Khadira(Acacia catechu)
- Sariva(Hemidesmus indicus)
- Manjishtha(Rubia cordifolia)
- Chandana(Santalum alba)
- Raktachandana(Pterocarpus santalinus)
- Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia)
- Patola(Trichosanthes dioica)
- Yashtimadhu(Glycrrhiza glabra)
- Haridra(Curcuma longa)
- Daruharidra(Berberis aristata)
- Indian gooseberry, Kutaja(
- Holarrhena antidysentrica)
- Patients suffering from Psoriasis dominated by Vata is administered with medicated ghee internally.
- Patient suffering from Psoriasis dominated by Pitta imbalance is given Virechan- emetic therapy.
- Patient suffering from Psoriasis with more vitiated doshas is given Shodhana therapies for several times with lot of care.
What are the causative factors of Psoriasis according to Ayurveda?
- Prolonged intake of aquatic animals
- Intake of Pippali(Long pepper) with curd
- Intake of radish with jaggery
- Excess intake of radish
- Excess intake of garlic
- Excess intake of green leafy vegetables along with milk
- Repeated and excess intake of food irrespective of hunger
- Unwholesome food
- Intake of barley, millets and grains along with milk
- Excess intake of sour and salty food together
- Food poisoning
- Suppression of vomiting etc.
What are the symptoms of Psoriasis?
- Plaques of red skin often covered with loose, silver – colored scales. Lesions may be itchy or painful and sometimes crack and bleed.
- Discolouration and pitting of nails
- Crust on the scalp
Home Remedies for Psoriasis:
- Simple herbs like– neem is very useful in skin conditions like- eczema and psoriasis.
- Taking 20-30 ml of bottlegourd juice twice daily provides relief in skin diseases.
- Taking Aloe vera juice helps in providing relief in variety of skin conditions. It helps to cool down the system and cleanse the system and hence helps in getting rid of toxins. Applying Aloe vera gel on area affected with psoriasis also provides relief in itching. It is one of the most simple home remedy for psoriasis.
- Seawater helps in relieving itching and pain due to psoriasis. Bathing or swimming in sea water is quite beneficial.
- Avoid acidic diet like– fried food, junk food, frozen food and alkaline diet must be followed as it is caused due to the imbalance of fire energy and acidic diet increases the fire levels in the body thus worsening the condition.
- Massaging the affected part with olive oil and calendula oil is recommended. This is a wonderful treatment for psoriasis.
- Applying mudpacks on the psoriasis patches can provide relief from pain and swelling. It is one of the simple remedies for psoriasis.
- Applying cashew nut oil is an effective natural treatment for psoriasis.
- Applying fresh cabbage leaves is one of the natural remedies of psoriasis.
- Drinking coconut water regularly provides relief from psoriasis.
After long term research on psoriasis, Planet Ayurveda team has developed a herbal package which helps in clearing the psoriasis naturally and quickly within few months(usually 3-4 months) and the res ults are long lasting as herbal products eradicate the root cause of the disease.
Planet Ayurveda offers an effective herbal treatment to get rid of this troublesome disease. The herbal products of Planet Ayurveda for Psoriasis are 100% safe, natural and effective.
Psoriasis care pack of Planet Ayurveda is a combination of formulations which have been proven to show excellent results in Psoriasis patients. This pack gives relief from itching and also helps in clearing psoriasis scales within few months of using them. The skin becomes smoother and the shining and the normal texture is restored within few months (normally 3-4 months). The expert team of Planet Ayurveda has successfully treated various cases of Psoriasis.
- (i) Neem Capsules
- (ii) Kaishore Guggal
- (iii) Navkarshik Churan
- (iv)Radiant Skin Hair Nail Formula
- (v) Green Tea-Algae Aloe vera gel scrub
(i) Neem Capsules— 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
(ii) Kaishore Guggal— 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
(iii) Navkarshik Churan— 1 tsp. daily with plain water after meals.
(iv)Radiant skin hair nail formula— 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
(v) Green Tea- Aloe Vera Gel Scrub— Massage gently on the affected part while bathing.
Diet– Red rice, green gram, easily digestible food, bitter and astringent food, warm water must be included in the diet. Alcohol, garlic, fish, incompatible food stuff like- fish with milk, spicy food, stress, fear must be avoided.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.