Human spinal column is S in shaped and have natural curves in the neck, back, lower back and at the sacrum and coccyx. Spinal column consists of 33 vertebrae , stacked one on top of another in between cushioned by jelly like fluid filled bags acting as shock absorbers, protecting the brain spinal cord & other internal organs from any damage. Spinal cord goes through the spinal canal made by the vertebra.
Slip Disc is a medical condition affecting the spine occurring due to excessive strain or a tear in the outer, fibrous ring of an intervertebral disc soft, central portion to bulge out upon lower back causing theses discs to rupture or tear & oozing of this fluid affecting lower lumbar region or back. Bulged disc which is the condition before it blows into slipped disc if a disc is abnormally bulged/herniated/extruded, it can compress the nerve roots or even the spinal cord or the tail of the cord known as cauda equine.
Neck and lower back are the most mobile parts of the spine, and Cervical Disc Herniation & Lumbar Disc Herniation are the most common.
Ayurveda explains this in the context of Vata Vyadhi & can be called Sandhivislesham or Asthi Chyudi (Sanskrit words for Slip Disc or Herniated Disc) Ayurveda considers Slip Disc is caused by vitiastion of Vata (One amongst tridosha, & in equilibrium mainly responsible for movement and functionality of body).
- Accidental injuries, injuries from sprains, fractures, or accidents
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases
- Excessive strain on lower back,strenuous physical exercises, and physical works
- Spinal cord tumours
- Poor or unhealthy diet
- Bad posture
- Sudden shock or strain while driving a vehicle, a force that the individual disc cannot withstand
- Hereditary as in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Obesity, smoking-
- Weak Spinal muscles due to sedentary lifestyle
- Disc degeneration
- Weakness of the outer covering of the disc
- Back Muscle stiffness
- Sudden onset of Pain in lower back especially L4-5 or L5 S1 discs along with radiating pain down legs
- Neck or low back pain that will radiate into the regions served by affected nerve roots
- Sharp localized low back pain
- Difficulty in straighten up or unable to bend the back slightly
- The whole area becomes inflamed, tender & swollen
- Incapacity to stretch back
- With t he slightest sudden strain / twist or bending movement initiates the pain
- Sufferer develops depression or becomes irritable in nature
- Emotional exhaustion
- Marital & Social relationship deteriorates
Diagnosis is made by based on the history, symptoms, and physical examination.
HERBS FOR SLIP DISC
SINGLE HERBS HELPFUL IN OVERCOMING INFLAMMATORY CONDITION
- Basil: It contain eugenol which is very effective in this condition
- Cilantro: It aids in digestion and also have chlorophyll which prevents inflammation.
- Cinnamon: It induces release of tristetraprolin an anti-inflammatory protein.
- Fenugreek has Ante oxidative properties, which relives inflammation
- Ginger contains gingerols and protects the depletion of free radicals in our body
- Mint has cooling properties and if applied topically on swelling and inflammation it helps reliving the situation
- Oreganol: It has a beta caryophyllin, which helps in reducing inflammation, it can be applied topically as well as consumed in fresh or dried form.
- Parsley: Vitamin C & eugenol present in it has strong anti-inflammatory agent
- Rosemary: Carnosol helps in preventing inflammations
- Sage: Rosmarinic acid present in the sage has strong Anti inflammatory condition.
- Turmeric: One of the most commonly and widely used herb is found to be very effective in reliving inflammatory conditions.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR SLIP DISC
All the products formulated by Planet Ayurveda are prepared from pure herbs so these products provide the health benefits without any side effects. For slip disc it has-
- Cap. Boswellia Curcumin
- Hakam churna
- Yograj guggulu
- Amvatantak churna
These all supplements can be taken on regular basis for better management and they are safe with ongoing allopathic medicines as well.
Read also – Ayurvedic treatment for Slipped disc
Each Aasna should be practised maximum of five times followed by relaxation in Makarasana or Shavasana for 15-20 minutes.
Breathe awareness in spinal passage from mooladhara chakra in tail bone up to ajna chakra help in deep mental & physical relaxation.
Light semi liquid diet, vegetable soup, khichari should be taken.
Heavy constipating food, meat, cheese, oily preparation, eggs, milk , ghee & extra protein diet, white flour (maida), alcohol tea, coffee, cold drinks and other junk foods.
PREVENTION OF SLIP DISC
Prevention is always better than cure. Slip disc or other spinal problems can be prevented through following:
- Increasing the strength and flexibility of spinal muscles, discs & ligaments through yoga or other exercises.
- Adopting right posture while sitting / squatting and lifting a heavy weight from floor to protect spine from excessive strain.
- Maintain healthy weight.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.