Asthma is a respiratory tract disorder obstructing easy flow of air in the lungs. It is a chronic obstructive disorder of the airway of the lungs in which the bronchial tubes get obstructed, inflamed and sometimes inner surface gets swollen. This causes difficulty in breathing and wheezing. According to modern medicine, it is not easily curable chronic disease in which the patient has to rely on inhalers during asthma attacks but in Ayurveda, asthma can be very well managed by natural treatment without having side effects and there will be no addiction to inhalers. These natural remedies can help to manage the disease as there is no cure for asthma.
What are the signs and symptoms of Asthma?
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Dark blacks in front of eyes
Causes of Asthma according to modern medicine
- Allergy from various drugs
- Preserved foods
- Air irritants like—smoke/ strong odour/ mosquito repellent etc.
- Trauma to chest/throat
- Cold/ flu/ cold wind
- Inhaling fumes. Gases, dust particles etc.
Causes of Asthma according to Ayurveda
- In Ayurveda, it is termed as Pranvaha Sroto Vikara. Various Vata provoking diet and activities cause accumulation of Vata inside the body. Intake of heavy, dry and cold water, consumption of excessive salts, living in cold, dump and humid area, exposure to dust, smoke, cold air, cold water bath etc. aggravate Vata dosha in the body. In addition, intake of excess heavy diet, sour, curd, non-vegetarian food aggravate Kapha dosha in the body.
- Thus, increase in Kapha dosha, Strotas Avarodha in Pranvaha Strotas i.e. blockage of channels of respiratory system leads to Vata dosha obstruction. This blocked Vata dosha starts moving in reverse direction called Pratilom Vayu. Vata dosha also increases dryness and as a result, the smooth natural passage of the air gets disturbed and hence the disturbed pathway causes difficulties in breathing.
Types of Asthma according to Ayurveda
- Maha shwasaa—Heavy breathing
- Urdhava shwasaa—prolonged upward breathing
- Chhinna shwsaa—interrupted breath
- Tamak shwasaa—darkness behind the eyes
- Santamak—asthma associated with fever and dark blacks which aggravates at night time.
- Pratamak—asthma due to physiological factors.
- Kshudra shwsaa—that subsides by itself.
Diagnosis—There are no specific tests or concrete method to make diagnosis, it is only dependent on the symptoms and response to the therapy. There are few tests like
- Spirometry which is used to confirm the disease in the young adults and in children of below 7 years, it is quite difficult to diagnose via spirometry.
- Blood test to determine the growth of eosinophils and IGE antibody.
- Allergic test
- X-ray of lungs.
Home Remedies and Natural Treatment
- Take whole amla fruits (3 in number) in a clean vessel. Add sufficient quantity of water to it so that all the fruits can be immersed in it. Start boiling amla fruits till the fruit pulp softens for 10-15 minutes. Stop heating and remove the seeds and take the amla pulp in mortar and pestle. Grind it to make a paste. Add raisins (10 gm) to itand grind it.
- Add ginger powder (10 gm) and honey (10 ml) to it and mix it to make a homogenous mass. 3-5 grams of this dose should be taken twice a day before and after food. After taking this remedy, if one feels thirsty, consume warm water. All the ingredients used in this remedy are quite efficient in balancing Kapha and Vata doshas.
- Asthma Herbal Remedies From Planet Ayurveda are completely safe, simple and easy to use. Depending upon the severity of the condition, these herbal remedies can reduce the need for modern drugs and inhalers and patient will no longer depend on inhalers as these natural remedies consist of the most effective formulas that help to strengthen the lungs and normalize the breathing.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Asthma-Planet Ayurveda
- Tulsi Capsules
- Praan-Rakshak Churan
- Aller-G care
- Curcumin Capsules
Tulsi Capsules (Ocimum sanctum)—Tulsi is native to India. Tulsi capsules of Planet Ayurveda are quite useful in the treatment of respiratory disorders like—bronchial asthma, chronic rhinitis, chronic sinusitis, allergies etc. Regular use of Tulsi capsules helps the body to fight against infections in a very effective way. It is a natural immune-modulator. According to Indian medical texts, there is no other herb equivalent to this.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water.
Praan- Rakshak Churan—Planet Ayurveda’s Praan- Rakshak Churan is a combination of various anti-allergy herbs used in Ayurveda since ancient times (around 5000 B.C.). It is very effective for patients suffering from asthma and other respiratory tract infections. The herbs used in Praan- Rakshak Churan are anti-bacterial, anti-biotic, anti-inflammatory and anti-septic. These herbs are capable of relieving all respiratory and throat related infections. The herbs used in Praan-Rakshak Churan are—
|S.No||Botanical Name of Ingredient||Common Name||Quantity (200 gm pack)|
|1.||Albezzia lebbock||Shirish||40 gm|
|2.||Solanum xanthocarpum||Kantkari||40 gm|
|3.||Adhatoda vasica||Vasa||40 gm|
|4.||Tylophora asthmatica||Anantmool||40 gm|
|5.||Cinnamomum zeylanica||Dalchini||20 gm|
|6.||Clerodandrum serratum||Bharangi||10 gm|
|7.||Glycerrhiza glabra||Mulethi||10 gm|
Herbs in Praan-Rakshak Churan
All the herbs in Praan-Rakshak Churan of Planet Ayurveda act together in a synergising manner and are very effective in chronic allergies such as-respiratory tract infections, asthma, bronchitis etc.
Dosage: 1-2 teaspoonfuls of Praan-Rakshak Churan three times in a day with plain water after meals.
Aller-G Care—Aller-G care capsules of Planet Ayurveda is a purely herbal formulation without any chemicals added into it. All the herbal ingredients including the capsules are 100% organic and natural. These capsules are a blend of various herbs designed to work in all form of allergies and elevated eosinophil cells. It is a blend of unique herbs which are described in Ayurveda as the best anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory herbs.
Herbs in Aller-G
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Neem (Azadirachta indica)
- Shirish (Albezzia lebbock)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily after meals. 2 capsules thrice daily can also be taken depending upon the severity of the condition.
Curcumin Capsules (Curcuma longa) — Turmeric is traditional herbal supplement described in Ayurveda for thousands of years. Turmeric is considered as the best anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory herb. It is used for asthma and allergy since ages. The Curcumin capsules of Planet Ayurveda are 100% natural and safe and can be used for longer periods.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
Tips for Asthma Patients
- Diet—Avoid sour food, deep fried and processed food, curd, buttermilk, rice, cheese, cold drinks, heavy foods like—banana, over eating.
- Drink warm water and take light dinner. Maintain a gap of an hour in between dinner and sleep.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.