Guava is a well-recognized fruit all across the globe for its medicinal benefits and taste. For some, it is a simple fruit whereas for some it is simply an unexplainable miracle of nature. What are fruits; one can say that these are simple vegetarian edibles but the grasp meaning lies far beyond it. To understand the whole thing, let’s begin our studies from ‘Fruits’ itself.
Fruits are one of the oldest forms of food known to man. There are many references to fruits in ancient literature. According to Quran, the fruits like grapes, dates, fig, olive and pomegranate are the gifts and heavenly fruits of God. The people in ancient times regarded fruits to be endowed with magic or divine properties.
They contain substantial quantities of essential nutrients in a rational proportion. Persons subsisting on this natural diet will always enjoy a good health. Fresh and dry fruits are thus not only a good food but also a good medicine. So, now lets move to our concerned fruit called “Guava”.
Guava is a common fruit. There are two varieties of Guava fruit; which have red and white pulp. According to the taste, this fruit is sour, sweet and insipid. In the mid-ripe form, it works like an addiction; its taste will make you addicted of it. It is cultivated in both wild and cultivated form.
The tree is approximately 15-25 ft tall; it has leaves which are 2-6 inch tall placed on small branches. Its leaves are arranged in opposite or sequential manner. Before getting developed to fruit, it bears whitish-colored flower which has feather type laces on it.
Unripe fruits tastes sour and bitter; finally after getting fully ripen it turns pulpy and a sweet smell comes from it.
Guava belongs to kingdom Plantae and Myrtaceae family. Its binomial name is “Psidium guajava”. In Hindi, it is also called Amrud or Safari whereas in Sanskrit it is called Peruk, Bahubeej and Dridhbajati.
Nutrients in Guava fruit:-
Guava fruit in rich in nutritious elements; ts is recognized as one of the highly nutritious fruit. It is enriched with nutritious molecules, like-
- Dietary fibers
- Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, K
- Phosphorus etc
Uses of Guava:-
Now, we will study about the various ways in which this very fruit is used-
- Since, 1950s the leaves of Guava tree is used as a potential medicine to cure many diseases like Diabetes, cholesterol and heart problems.
- Ripe and Semi-ripe guava is simply used in a raw form to eat whereas in the case of patients it is advised to give them in the boiled form.
- Guava especially with red pulp is used to prepare Guava juice and squash.
- The seeds of guava are used to extract oil.
- Due to its high pectin content, guava fruit is used to prepare jams, jellies etc like this.
- In the Philippians, ripe Guava is used to prepare ‘sinigang’.
- It is also used in fruit bars, dessert items and many more.
Medicinal benefits of Guava:-
When we take the name Guava; most of us prefer it as a simple fruit. But this small fruit has hidden numerous healing properties in it. Now, you must be eager to know how to use this natural substance as a remedy. Following are some of the medicinal benefits of Guava-
1. For Headache:-
- Before sunrise, take an unripe guava.
- Rub it on a stone to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on forehead which aches.
- This treatment should be administered for 3-4 times a day.
It is helpful to cure even severe headaches contrasting with migraines.
2. For cold:-
Only few can guess that guava; such a cold-natured fruit can be helpful to cure phlegm or cold. But it is possible; have a look-
- Take 1 big guava and remove its seeds.
- Give it to the patient to eat and then give a glass of fresh water to drink immediately.
- After few days phlegm will be unblocked and will flow to clear the nose.
- As it starts flowing, give 50 gm of jaggery without water at night.
The hot-natured and high potency of jaggery will cure the nose flow in no time.
3. For Arthritis:-
In case of Arthritis, make paste of fresh guava leaves and apply on the painful area. This helps to relieve the pain to a great extent.
4. For Malarial fever:-
In case of Malarial fever, grind the soft leaves with water and then strain the solution. Give this solution to the patient twice a day. It cures fever in few days itself.
5. For indigestion:-
Take 10 gm juice of soft tender leaves and mix sugar to it. Give this to the patient once in morning. It gives relief within 5-7 days.
6. For seizures and convulsions:-
Seizures are convulsions are mostly seen in neurological disorders like epilepsy. It’s really a miracle of nature that such symptoms can be cured using guava itself-
- Prepare a tincture of guava leaves and massage the backbone using this. You will notice that convulsions are getting minimized by its regular use.
7. For cardiac weakness:-
In case of any kind of heart problem, use this remedy-
- Take 3-4 guava fruits.
- Remove all the seeds and chop it into fine pieces.
- Add sugar to it and cook in a medium flame so it forms a sauce kind of paste.
- Take this twice a day.
It strengthens your heart and also cures constipation.
8. For Toothache:-
- Chew 3-4 guava leaves daily; it will cure toothache naturally.
- Boil 3-4 guava leaves and add potassium permanganate to it.
- Strain the liquid and use it for gargle. It relieves toothache.
9. For Constipation:-
- During breakfast, give ripe guava with black pepper, black salt and ginger to the patient.
- Eat at least 2 medium-sized semi ripe guava in a day; it is beneficial to cure colitis, diarrhea, acidity and swelling in stomach.
10. For Intoxication:-
If you have got intoxicated with ‘Bhang’ or ‘Datura’ then give enough juice of guava leaves to the patient; you can also use its decoction. It will give an immense relief.
So, in this way we saw numerous benefits of Guava. Guys, always believe in nature; after all we humans are also the creation of nature itself. Lets promote this divine Indian culture and spread longevity to all. So, go green and Live well!
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.