Information about fennel seeds
Fennel is a flowering plant that belongs to kingdom Plantae and ‘Apiaceae’ family. Its binomial name is “Foeniculum vulgare”. It is a perennial herb that bears yellow flowers with soft lacy leaves. It has an aromatic fragrance that is scented all around the surroundings. Today, we will discuss about health benefits of fennel seeds.
It has many culinary and medicinal benefits. Fennel plant is wholly edible and the stem part of the plant looks like bulb which is often used as a vegetable. It is commonly called ‘souff’ in Hindi term.
Health Benefits of Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are used in many ways like it is used as a mouth freshener, condiment in foods, alternative medicines and so on. Its leaves and twigs are boiled to cure many ailments etc. Fennel is a medicinal herb rich in Vitamin A, B6, B12, C, D, magnesium, Iron, calcium, sodium, carbohydrates, dietary fibres and potassium.
It is very less in calorie intake as 100 grams of fennel seeds contains 31 calories. It looks similar as cumin seeds and the fresh fennel seeds are greenish-brown in colour. It is a very popular ingredient in cuisines all over the Mediterranean regions.
Fennel plant is grown in the sub-tropical regions of Turkey, China, India, Middle-East and all over Europe. The herbaceous plant can reach up to 2 meters in height and the flowers of fennel loons like mustard flower.
In Ayurveda, fennel plant is considered as one of the major ingredient in herbal medicines. It has many Ayurvedic as well as medicinal benefits.
Some of the health benefits of fennel seeds are given as follows
- Regular intake of fennel gifts you longevity, strength, mental concentration and an ease life. It is rich in fibers and roughage thus aids in proper digestion.
- Fennel seeds contains antioxidants like ‘Kaempferol’ and ‘Quercetin’. These are very useful to remove free radicals from the body responsible for ailments like premature aging, cancers, viral infections, neurological disorders and so on.
- Fennel seeds aids in the formation of Red Blood Cells and the presence of Copper, Iron and Zinc are very helpful for the secretion of enzymes and nucleic acid synthesis.
- The potassium content in fennel is very helpful to stabilize blood pressure hence formulating heart rate.
- Fennel seeds acts as a beauty ingredient too. It keeps your skin toned and free from wrinkles and blemishes.
- It has a very cooling effect that soothes in inflammation and skin irritation and it is very helpful to reduce intestinal heat and aids in blood sugar.
- Fennel seeds aids in macular degeneration and promotes eye health.
- Fennel tea is very helpful to avoid menstrual cramps, blood clotting and also stabilizes extra pain during periods.
- Fennel is a natural fat buster, hence it helps to cut down fats and cholesterol level. Just take 2 teaspoons of fennel powder with water twice a day. It is very helpful to cure obesity.
- Mouth odour or halitosis can be easily cured using fennel. Just you need to boil some fennel seeds in 1 glass of water. Use it as a gargle liquid. In addition, fennel is anti-bacterial and anti-viral in nature, it keeps your mouth free from infections and germs.
- Fennel is used in aroma therapy too. Its sweet lingering fragrance acts as a stress-depression buster and keeps you relaxed.
All the remedies are hidden in the lap of mother nature itself. We just need to be curious about natural treatment. Guys, our nature offers everything. It is like nectar for present lives.
Go natural be safe!
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.