There is no love genuine than the love of food. Every person likes to eat delicious and tasteful food. But the agenda is what kind of food we are taking? Food that is good for our health, body and mind or food that is good for our tongue. A diet in a person’s life plays very crucial role. It can change the condition of body and mind health. A good food transforms bad health to good one and bad food changes a good going health to disastrous health. Especially in a condition of infections and diseases, it is very important what to eat what to not. A disorder known as ulcerative colitis, a diseases classified under inflammatory bowel disorders. A disease of gastrointestinal tract. In this disease a diet is an important aspect to control the ulcerative colitis. In this article we will discuss about the foods to avoid with ulcerative colitis.
About ulcerative colitis?
An inflammatory disease of large intestine or colon. This is more common in young age. In this disease the lining of the large intestine becomes inflamed and ulcers arise. It starts at the rectum part just inside anus, this condition is known as proctitis and when it affects the whole colon, it is called as total colitis
Why does it happen?
There is no exact reason for the occurrence of disease but this can be due to the factors given below:
- Intestinal immune system over activates – a condition in which immune system works against its own lining of large intestine. This cause inflammation.
- Environment – antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, oral contraceptives and high fat consumption can leads to ulcerative colitis
- Genes – it is due to abnormal genes
Symptoms that ulcerative colitis patient show are urgent need to bowel movements, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, fever, joint pains, weight loss, nausea and eye irritation.
- This disease can be diagnosed through physical examination, lab test like blood and stool test and endoscopies.
- Ulcerative colitis can be managed and cured well with the combination of medications and diet.
- Today we are discussing about what foods to avoid with ulcerative colitis?
- So depending upon the kinds of issues a patient suffer from, a diet of foods to be avoided can be prepared.
What type of diet should be avoided?
- A lactose diet-patients with ulcerative colitis cannot digest the foods that contains lactose. It is due to reduced activity of lactase enzyme present in the intestine. The foods enrich with glucose and other sugars
- A high fat diet – This diet is not recommended in the condition of ulcerative colitis flare condition.
- A high fiber diet – This diet increases the bowel movements and abdominal pain.
- Dairy products-If you are suffering from lactose intolerance, avoid the usage of dairy products which include milk, butter, curd and cheese.
- Fiber vegetables –Avoid the vegetables that are full of fibers as difficult to digest. You can consume them without skin and seeds. These can cause abdominal cramp and bloating. Fiber vegetables include cabbage, corns, onions, celery, broccoli, mushrooms and Brussels sprouts.
- Fibrous fruits –Avoid fruits that are rich in fibers such as dried fruits, berries, fruits with pulp or seeds like oranges, papaya etc.
- Dried beans and peas -These are also enriched with fibers. These also tend to cause acidity as contain indigestible sugar molecules.
- Seeds -Seeds are known to have insoluble fibers that can cause bloating, gas or diarrhea. These seeds include – flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, pine seeds, wild rice and more.
- Whole grain flour and cereals -Enriched with fibers, so good to avoid. This includes – breads, pasta, noodles, brown rice, oats, cereals etc.
- Fatty meats-Meats which are excess in fats, cannot be digested by an ulcerative colitis patient.
- Sugar,alcohol-These are enriched in sugar. Also gum, ice creams, fruit juices like apple, pears, peaches and candies should be avoided.
- Food containing Sulphur-These can cause acidity problem. These include foods like beer, wine, eggs, dairy milk, cheese, dates, almonds, peanut, pasta, cruciferous vegetables like cabbage and broccoli, dried apples and apricots, prunes, resins, some supplements and red meat.
- Caffeine enriched food items-Caffeine is found in foods like chocolate, tea, energy drinks and in coffee. Caffeine helps to enhance the transit time in the colon that causes more urinating problem.
- Carbonated drinks-The drinks like soda and beers etc. can cause the problem in digestive tract as it contain more sugars.
- Spicy foods and peppers-These can make the symptoms of ulcerative colitis more severe and cause diarrhea also.
- Gluten-This compound found in rye, wheat, barley and oats. This can aggravate the symptoms.
- Creamy foods-Rich high fat sauces can enhance ulcerative colitis symptoms.
- Alcohols –These can cause diarrhea.So it is good to avoid it.
So these are some list of foods that should be strictly avoided in the condition of ulcerative colitis.