Jaundice is also known as Hyperbilirubinemia. Jaundice is due to the dysfunction of the normal metabolism or excretion of bilirubin. Jaundice is not actually a disease but a result of various underlying diseases like viral hepatitis, alcoholic liver disorder, cirrhosis, hepatitis A, thalassemia, malaria or other disorders of the liver. In jaundice high level of bilirubin causes yellowing of the skin and eyes. Jaundice can be of three types Pre-condition there is increased destruction of RBC, in hepatic condition the liver cell damage and in post hepatic condition there is an obstruction of bile flow. Diet therapy is the best therapy for the recovery of Jaundice. So, choose the right diet to get rid of jaundice quickly.
Choose the foods that help in the detoxification of liver. It helps the liver to get rid of infection and rejuvenate the liver cells. These foods increase the lifespan of the liver.
Juices play the most important part to cure Jaundice. Here are a few juices that should be consumed by a jaundice patient.
- Sugarcane juice is very beneficial for the liver as it speeds up the process of recovery.
- Pineapple juice helps in cleansing the liver cells.
- Amla juice helps in cleansing the liver cells as it is a great source of vitamin C.
- Tomato juice is rich in lycopene which acts as an anti-oxidant and helps in rejuvenating the liver cells.
- Barley juice washes away excessive bilirubin from the body due to its diuretic property.
- Coriander seeds juice which is made by soaking the seeds of coriander overnight and consuming it the next morning. This juice removes toxins from the liver.
- Radish juice removes excess bilirubin from the liver. So have two glasses of this juice every day.
- Wheat Grass juice is an excellent remedy for jaundice as it flushes out excess bilirubin and toxins.
- Buttermilk is a rich source of calcium and iron which is an .effective way to treat jaundice
The diet of jaundice patient should be rich in essential nutrients, proteins, vitamin C and vitamin B. This diet should be maintained for a long period to prevent recurrence of jaundice. Patient should eat fruits such as apples, grapes, oranges, pears and pineapples. Bananas are to be strictly avoided as it is rich in fiber which exerts pressure on the digestive system, it increases bilirubin level in the body. Vegetables that should be consumed by jaundice patients are bottle gourd, ridge gourd, beetroot, pumpkin, carrot, cucumber, carrot, radish, spinach, fenugreek leaves. Avoid potatoes and tomatoes as they cause indigestion. Jaundice patient should take cereals like whole wheat grains and rice. Fenugreek seeds decoction is very good for jaundice patient. Lentils that can be consumed during jaundice are yellow lentil and pink lentil only rest of the lentils should be avoided. The way in which you have to follow the diet plan are:
- While waking up: Drink a glass of lukewarm water by adding a lemon to it.
- In breakfast: Eat fresh fruits and a cup of fresh juice. You can drink any juice mentioned above or you can drink a cup of skimmed milk.
- Mid-morning: Have a small bowl of porridge or moong dal khichdi or a glass of buttermilk.
- Lunch: Eat a bowl of raw vegetable salad/ a bowl of steamed vegetables/ whole wheat grain chapatti / boiled dal / moong dal khichdi / plain rice with curd
- Mid-afternoon meals: Green coconut water / sugarcane juice / a cup of skimmed milk / herbal tea
- Dinner meals: Eat boiled vegetables / vegetable soup / whole wheat chapatti / Dal / Moong dal khichdi / Plain rice
With these dietary changes jaundice patients should follow these instructions and also drink plenty of water, lemon juice, take adequate rest, do some moderate exercises and avoid foods that cause digestive problems. The patient should strictly avoid Fried fatty foods, ghee, refined oil, preservative food items like pickles, papad, butter,tea, coffee, heavy pulses, whole dairy products and alcohol.
Jaundice is a serious condition, which could even be fatal if not treated in proper way. Jaundice is a condition in which nutrition and diet plays an important role. So to recover fast from jaundice, patients should follow the dietary rules strictly. As diet not only cures jaundice but also the complications that occurs through this disorder. So, to live a healthy and happy life follow the diet chart for jaundice recovery.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.